Eighty percent of Americans believe the economy should be a main priority for the president and Congress in 2014. When broken down, eighty-five percent of Democrats, seventy-five percent of Republicans, and eighty-one percent of Independents held this view.
These results from a Pew Research Center survey come on the eve of President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address.
Based on the survey the top five priorities include:
- Strengthening the nation’s economy
- Improving the job situation
- Improving the education system
- Making the Social Security system sound
- Reducing the budget deficit