VOA News/Ken Bredemeier
WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump says he is willing to agree to a two-week extension of government funding to avoid conflicts with the ceremonies honoring the late President George H.W. Bush.
Speaking on board Air force One on his way home from the G-20 summit in Argentina, Trump said congressional leaders have asked for the extension because of Bush’s funeral on Wednesday and other events this week honoring the country’s 41st president. Trump said he «would absolutely consider it and probably give it.»
Funding for some government operations is currently set to run out on Friday, although much of the U.S. government has already been funded through next September.
Trump and lawmakers have sparred in recent days over his demand for $5 billion in funding for a wall along the southern U.S. border with Mexico to thwart illegal migration of Central Americans trying to enter the United States.
The U.S. leader has threatened a partial government shutdown if the new wall funding is not included in the spending measures lawmakers are now debating. But so far lawmakers have only agreed to spend $1.6 billion more for border security.