The Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) is working to replace the Pleasant Valley Parkway Bridge, which carries Dean Street over the Woonasquatucket River in Providence. This will allow the Department to reopen this vital link for residents and commuters several months earlier than originally planned.
With a slight schedule change, RIDOT will close the bridge to all traffic late in the evening on Monday, January 4, 2016. This schedule bypasses the busy holiday shopping season while allowing the contractor sufficient time to do preliminary construction to be in conformance with an environmentally mandated restriction of not working in the river from late winter through early summer due to fish migration. By closing the bridge now as opposed to waiting until spring, RIDOT will be able to reopen it by the end of 2016 as opposed to Summer 2017.
Traffic improvements have been made along city streets near the bridge to ease the impact of the actual bridge reconstruction, including temporarily widening Promenade Street. RIDOT will create a one-way circulator to guide vehicles through the work zone. Other changes include temporary traffic signals, and making portions of Acorn Street and Promenade Street one-way.
Temporary lane and shoulder closures are possible while construction is underway. Because of the limited amount of space for construction, it was not feasible to leave one lane of traffic open while the bridge is being replaced.
Detour maps are available online at www.dot.ri.gov/detourmaps. Detour routes during the closure are as follows:
• Pleasant Valley Parkway to Dean Street: Turn right on Promenade Street, then turn left to cross the river at Acorn Street. Motorists will then turn left again to using Kinsley Avenue to return to Dean Street.
• Promenade Street to Dean Street: Proceed straight past the closed bridge and follow the Pleasant Valley Parkway detour as described above, Acorn Street and Kinsley Avenue to return to Dean Street.
• Dean Street to Pleasant Valley Parkway: Turn right onto Providence Place, then take the next left toward Promenade Street to reverse direction. Turn right for Pleasant Valley Parkway.
Suggested Truck Detours
• Pleasant Valley Parkway to Dean Street: Before reaching Promenade Street, turn right on Valley Street. Continue approximately one mile to Delaine Street and turn left. Turn left onto Harris Street, continue on Eagle Street, then turn right to use Kinsley Avenue to return to Dean Street.
• Promenade Street to Dean Street: Turn right on Pleasant Valley Parkway then turn left on Valley Street and follow the Pleasant Valley Parkway detour as described above, using Delaine Street, Harris Avenue, Eagle Street and Kinsley Avenue to return to Dean Street.
• Dean Street to Pleasant Valley Parkway: Turn right on Providence Place, then travel past the Bath Street Bridge and turn left to cross the river at Park Street. Turn left again to use Promenade Street to return to Pleasant Valley Parkway.
• Providence Place Mall (Park Street Exit) to I-95 North/South and Route 6/10: Turn right on Park Street, right on Hayes Street, and right on Francis Street. Turn right again to use the on-ramps to I-95 North/South and Route 6/10.
• Pleasant Valley Parkway to Dean Street: Turn right on Promenade Street, and then turn left to cross the river at Acorn Street. Turn left again to use Kinsley Avenue to return to Dean Street.
• Dean Street to Pleasant Valley Parkway: Turn left on Kinsley Avenue and then turn right to cross the river at Acorn Street. Turn right again to use Promenade Street to return to Pleasant Valley Parkway.
• Eastbound – Kinsley Avenue to Providence Place: After passing Eagle Square, turn right on Sims Avenue and then turn left onto Harris Avenue, which merges with Providence Place.
• Westbound – Promenade Street to Kinsley Avenue: From the Providence Place Mall walk bikes across the river along the sidewalk on the east side of Park Street, then turn right on Providence Place to reach Harris Avenue. Travel along Harris Avenue, and turn right onto Sims Avenue to reach Kinsley Avenue.
RIDOT has been coordinating with the business community in the area regarding the upcoming bridge closure. This includes making other changes to accommodate the nearby Paul Cuffee School’s students, families and school personnel. Rathbone Street traffic will be restricted to school traffic only Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Signage and police details also will be present on Rathbone Street for assistance during peak traffic hours.
RIDOT is replacing the Pleasant Valley Parkway Bridge through a $5.6 million contract awarded to the Cardi Corporation, including a 5 percent budget contingency of $280,000. Crews will demolish and rebuild the deck of the bridge, reusing much of the existing foundations and supports. The bridge was built in 1973 and classified as structurally deficient. It carries approximately 41,000 vehicles per day.
To sign up for weekly updates on RIDOT projects around the state, contact email@example.com. Visit www.dot.ri.gov or follow RIDOTnews on Facebook or Twitter for timely information on construction projects and traffic conditions.