The State Department has released another 7,000 pages of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s emails, sent and received when she was secretary of state.
The controversy over Clinton using a private account instead of a government account apparently has hurt her presidential campaign. Clinton denies sending or receiving any classified emails. But some voters say they do not believe she has been completely honest about the whole affair.
State Department Mark Toner said Monday that about 150 of the Clinton emails have been re-marked as classified after they were examined by the Intelligence Community Inspector General. Toner said that so far, it appears that none of the emails was marked as classified or top secret at the time Clinton sent or received them.
«If something was not sensitive or considered sensitive at the time, or classified, it could, over time, evolve that, given who was saying what to whom and where that source — where the information was coming from – that we would need to upgrade the classification to protect those sources,» Toner said.
The State Department has said that retroactively upgrading emails after they have been sent is routine.
Clinton has authorized the State Department to make 55,000 pages of emails in her private account public. She denies doing anything wrong and says it was more «convenient» to use one email account and one device when she was secretary of state.
«Looking back, it would have been better if I simply had used a second email account and carried a second phone,» Clinton said earlier this year. «But at the time, it didn’t seem like an issue.»
Critics accuse her of leaving her emails open to hackers and foreign agents by not using an official account. They also allege she is trying to hide controversial communications, including those surrounding the deadly terrorist attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya in 2012.
The latest opinion poll shows Clinton has lost about 20 percent of Democratic voter support since May.