Biden destaca compromiso para evitar incumplimiento en discurso desde la Oficina Oval
RI State Police Arrest 46; Issue 364 Citations Over Holiday Weekend
SCITUATE, RI – Rhode Island State Police arrested 46 people and issued 364 citations for a variety of motor vehicle violations over the Memorial Day weekend, according to Colonel Ann C. Assumpico, Superintendent of State Police and Director of the Department of Public Safety.
Troopers also investigated 73 motor vehicle crashes from Friday through Monday, Colonel Assumpico said. Fortunately, she noted, none resulted in serious injury.
Of the arrests, five people were arrested on drunk-driving-related charges; eight for narcotics violations; and one on weapons charges. The others were arrested for motor vehicle offenses and outstanding warrants.
Colonel Assumpico said the majority of the arrests resulted from vehicle stops for dangerous and/or aggressive driving. “We hope our enforcement efforts send a clear and convincing message to all motorists: Rhode Island State Police will do everything within its power to keep our roadways safe.
Drunk Driving Arrests:
• Linda Chapman, 57, of Broomfield, CO, was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test after troopers responded to a report for a disabled motor vehicle on Route 6 in Providence about 3:30 p.m. Monday.
• Sean Altshuler, 21, of 25 Tobey Court, Warwick, was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test after troopers received a 911 call regarding a motorist driving erratically on Interstate 95 around 4:15 p.m. Saturday. Troopers spotted the car on Route 95 in Warwick and arrested Altshuler after further investigation.
• Joshua Horan, 26, of 27 Cumberland Ave., South Attleboro, MA, was charged with driving under the influence with a blood alcohol content nearly twice the legal limit (.153 and .151, respectively). This arrest followed a motor vehicle stop on Interstate 95 around 11:50 p.m. Saturday.
• Astrid Ortiz, 25, of 5 Whelan Road, Providence, was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test after a motor vehicle stop on Route 6 in Providence around 2:34 a.m. Saturday.
• Leonel Tavares, 37, of Boston, MA, was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test after troopers received multiple calls of a motorist operating erratically about 5:35 p.m. Friday. Troopers spotted the car on Interstate 95 in Providence and subsequently arrested Tavares.
Drug and Weapons Arrests:
• Four people were arrested after a traffic stop on Interstate 95 in Warwick about 5 p.m. Saturday, when police seized a large amount of MDMA, a synthetic drug known as Ecstasy or Molly; more than a pound of marijuana; and several other drugs. Arrested were Travis Wells, 18, of 314 Hopkins Hill, Coventry; Alec Dombchik, 26, of 815 Sandy Lane, Warwick; Kenneth Stande, 35, of 83 Winsor St., New Bedford, MA; and Kali B. Strouth, 21, of 129 Park St., Pawtucket, RI
All four were charged with possession with intent to deliver MDMA, a synthetic drug commonly known as ecstasy or molly; possession of MDMA; possession of marijuana; possession of hash oil; possession of alprazolam; possession of buprenorphine hydrochloride; and possession of methyl phenidate. In addition, Strouth also was charged with possession of an illegal weapon, brass knuckles. All four were held without bail, pending arraignment in District Court later today.
• Two people were arrested after troopers seized 25 small bags of heroin and 6 small bags of cocaine during a separate traffic stop on Interstate 95 in Warwick around 2:35 a.m. Friday.
Tare Buwee, 21, of 568 Weeden St., Pawtucket, and Jarman Paulino, 20, of 108 Fillmore St., Providence, were charged with possession with intent to deliver heroin and possession with intent to deliver cocaine. In addition, Buwee was also charged with driving while in possession of a controlled substance. He was ordered held pending arraignment today.
• Markus Matthews, 27, of 808 High St., Cumberland, was arrested about 10 a.m. Monday for possession of a cocaine and possession of oxycodone after a motor vehicle stop on Route 10 in Cranston. He also was wanted on a Superior Court warrant stemming from a prior robbery arrest. He was held overnight pending arraignment in District Court today.
• Benjamin Cary, 25, of 7 Englewood Lane, Warwick, was charged with possession of more than an ounce of marijuana after a motor vehicle stop on East Avenue in Warwick about 3:55 p.m. Monday. He was released, pending further court action.
• A Coventry man on several weapons charges after a motor vehicle stop on Division Road in East Greenwich about 3:15 p.m. Friday. Newport police had warned state and local police to be on the lookout for the man after he allegedly pointed a gun at someone earlier in the day. Troopers spotted his car on Division Road and arrested Marcus Venson, 28, of 122 Lacolle Lane, Coventry.
Venson was charged with possession of a pistol without a license or permit; possession of a firearm after being convicted of a crime of violence; carrying a weapon while intoxicated. He also was wanted on warrants for failure to appear on a charge of driving without a license or with an expired license; assault with a dangerous weapon; and possession of a firearm by a person convicted of a crime of violence.