PAWTUCKET –Mayor Donald R. Grebien and Pawtucket Fire Department Chief William Sisson announce the opening of the application period for new firefighters.
“Pawtucket is a great community to live, work, and commit to public service” said Mayor Donald R. Grebien. “Becoming a firefighter is a rewarding experience and holds the great responsibility of protecting our citizens and our community. We hope you will join our team.”
“The Pawtucket Fire Department has proudly been serving the City of Pawtucket and its citizens for over 140 years,” said Chief Sisson. “The job is both honorable and rewarding and we want to ensure that we attract a highly qualified, diverse group to join our team. I look forward to meeting you during our hiring process.”
The application period for firefighter candidates is open from November 1st to November 30th. Requirements which must be met by candidates at the time of application include the following:
· At least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen.
· A high school graduate or possess a General Education Diploma (GED).
· A photocopy of your valid driver’s license and a certified copy of your driving record, obtained from the Operator Control Office-Registry of Motor Vehicles in your state of residence.
· A certified copy of your Bureau of Criminal Identification (B.C.I.) report from the Office of Attorney General in your state of residence.
o Possess a valid Rhode Island Emergency Medical Technician License (RI-EMT)
o Or possess a valid RI EMT-Cardiac License
o Or possess a valid RI Paramedic License
o Or have your National Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification and a pending RI-EMT license by the time of the oral interview in January 2018.
· PPA: Have a valid certificate of successful completion of the Physical Performance Assessment (PPA) from the R.I. Association of Fire Chiefs issued after April 1, 2017.
After submitting an application, candidates will start the examination process, which, includes:
– Firefighter Written Examination: December 9, 2017. Test preparation materials will be provided.
– Oral Interview with the Fire Chief and senior staff: January 2018. An in person, general interview with candidates about their background and interest in the position.
When candidates successfully complete all requirements, and are selected to be part of the next recruitment class, they will begin the fire academy, a 16 week program. Candidates that successfully complete the program will be placed on an eligibility list.
Firefighter applications are available online at www.pawtucketri.com and http://www.pawtucketri.com/departments/public-safety. Candidates are encouraged to apply online, but may also mail their application packet, or deliver it to the Personnel Office. If you have any questions regarding the requirements, please contact the Personnel Office at 401-728-0500 ext. 235 or 276.
The City of Pawtucket is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fully complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. Pawtucket residents (for the past three years) will receive five additional points in the overall hiring process.