The Prime Minister of Malaysia, Najib Razak, confirmed in a press conference that flight MH370 is lost and that there are no survivors.

Malaysia Airlines sent to the relatives of the people aboard the plane a text message in which they were informed of the facts before the statements of the Prime Minister.

It was said that the message was sent both to family in Malaysia as well as in Beijing.

The firms “have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor, and that its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth,” Mr Razak said.

“This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sites. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean.”

It was requested that the media respect “this difficult moment” that families are going through.

 

Relatives of people aboard the plane who saw the announcement in a hotel in Beijing, broke out in tears. Some of them were treated by medical teams. Others greeted the news with a mixture of deep anguish and rage.

Selamat Omar, father of a 29-year-old aviation engineer, who was on the flight, said that some members of the family of the other passengers broke into tears upon receiving the news.

 

The plane disappeared from radars on 8 March with 239 people on board an hour after having taken off from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Since then there has been little evidence uncovered to determine what happened to the aircraft or where it disappeared.

But the Malaysian Prime Minister said that it is likely that wreckage of the plane is in the southern Indian Ocean where search is now concentrated.

 

The operation involves 26 countries that have collaborated with ships, aircraft, and underwater monitoring equipment.

Since last Monday, there have been three series of satellite images showing possible fragments of the MH370 flight southwest of Australia.

On Saturday the Malaysian Government informed that China was considering new satellite images of objects in the southern Indian Ocean.

And on Sunday France delivered another similar report, also of objects observed in the Indian Ocean.

A great international search operation has taken place in the southern Indian Ocean since yesterday, along the corridor of the possible route of aircraft, more than 2,500 kilometres from the South-West coast of Australia.

Yesterday the air force, both Australian and Chinese teams reported that they had been detected some debris that could belong to the aircraft.

The unidentified objects have been sighted in separate parts of the large search area, in some of the most treacherous waters and remote world.